The Artistic Crafts of Travis Kraft

 
Travis Kraft interviewed by Rollyn Inagaki

When I first began planning this blog series I knew I wanted to interview an established filmmaker who could share his experience producing videos for the web versus other more traditional venues like television. Travis is someone who has worked professionally across diverse platforms as model, actor, video producer and director.  He definitely has some insight into what makes producing for the web unique and how it fits into a filmmaking career, in a time when traditional media is in disarray, and a new type of communications is on the rise. The Internet is radically changing the way most everyone experiences media.


RI:     Where were you born?
TK:    The planet Krypton. Biro lang.

RI:      How did you end up working in the Philippines?
TK:     I first went to the Philippines in 2003. I fell in love with it. I ended up getting the  opportunity to work there in 2005/2006 and over the course of those several months a lot happened. I did a lot of product endorsements and fashions shows and TV shows. My favorite was the TV shows because my modeling career was going great but I was really an actor at heart. Also, I had spent the previous couple years of my life taking acting classes in Los Angeles and it was good to show my skills, even in another country.
Actress Katrina Halili
         
          One thing that I did that is somewhat famous is a DVD with Katrina Halili. It was a DVD that was released in 2007 and she and I are the only two people in it. Originally, my manager had to talk me into doing it. I had never heard of her even though she is a huge star and I didn't really like the concept for the video. Also, they wanted me to do a nude scene, which I said no to. Honestly, I don't think the video turned out that great but I am glad I did it because it was an interesting experience to shoot a video with a movie star from another country and we had some fun. Who knows? Maybe Katrina and I will make a sequel someday.  The photos from that shoot are somewhat famous on the Internet. One photo of us on flickr has over 120,000 views. I have never seen another photo on flickr that comes anywhere near that view count.

Harper's Bazaar Photo
 Shot with Lindsay Lohan
Katrina is actually most likely the second most famous person I have worked with from any country in the world. Probably, the only person I have worked with that is more famous is Lindsay Lohan.  A couple other Filipino female stars I was paired up with as the boyfriend or husband of are Eula Valdez and Eugene Domingo.

RI:      It seems that you are fluent in Tagalog, did you learn the language before going to the Philippines?
TK:     I studied the language mainly in 2006 while I was there through language CD's.

 
RI:      Do you go to the Philippines often?
TK:     I have been there 5 or 6 times now. The longest I have stayed at one time is 9 months and recently I was there for 6 months on the last trip.

RI:      Please tell us about your experience in the Philippines entertainment industry.
TK:     I have worked in the American entertainment industry and the Filipino entertainment industry. The Filipino industry is a smaller version of Hollywood but they have a much bigger problem with piracy, which has made their theatrical film industry dry up.

I have worked with quite a few Filipino stars. John Estrada is one of the nicest. Everyone from the entire cast of Everybody Hapi is super nice. I guest starred on an episode and I only worked on it for three days but the entire cast and crew made me feel like family. On my first day with them, Carmi Martin told me they showed one of my videos at her church and she told the cast about my videos and I thought that was very sweet of her.

RI:      Your videos are getting a lot of hits in youtube, are they mostly from your Filipino fans?
TK:     I am glad that you brought up my youtube channel because I have some interesting stuff there I have produced. Some of my most popular videos are Filipino related but I have a diverse range of videos and films there. Many of my youtube viewers are Filipino and I am very thankful for them. I think I have a special connection with them.



from video Salo Salo
American Adobo was an accidental hit that I never expected many people to see. Maybe that is part of why it worked. I wasn't trying to do something that would get popular. Also, it connected with people on a very deep level, maybe because it was kind of silly and fun but was also a sincere tribute to Filipino culture. I really did it because I love Filipino culture and the Filipino people so much. It was genuine in my feelings and I didn't do it because I thought it would get popular.  I know several other Americans and Canadians have noticed its popularity and are doing things in Filipino now.

RI:      Did you work in other Asian countries?
TK:     I have been to many Asian countries but the only other Asian country I have worked in was China. In 2007, I was selected to represent the USA at the Mr. World competition. That was a great experience.

RI:      What are your plans for the future?
TK:     I am asking myself what to do next. I have taken a break for the past few months form modeling and acting. I was supposed to act in a movie when I got back to America but it got put on hold so I decided to take a break. 2010 was an extremely busy year for me. The first half was spent working on American projects and the second half was spent in the Philippines working on projects there. It was the best year of my life both professionally and personally but it was exhausting.
I am attending to my video business at the moment but also, I wouldn't mind trying something different for a while like working with kids.
To know more about Travis Kraft click on the following links: