RICKY MARTIN INTERVIEWED BY JAY LENO

The interview was to promote his ‘Music + Sex + Soul’ 2011 World Tour.

When Ricky Martin revealed that he was gay last year, the response from much of the public was 'Yeah, what's new?'  Martin said he anguished over it, especially in the heady days of the late '90s, when the success of "La Vida Loca" song turned him into a global superstar. 

"What Ricky Martin represented back then and what I was feeling were not compatible,"  "I was the sex symbol and I needed to dance and make girls crazy. I couldn't say that I was gay."

Martin's religious and cultural background made it even more difficult to accept his sexuality. "What I was feeling, according to what I had in my mind, was evil."
Martin said that all he wanted was to work and be acepted; to sell out stadiums, get Grammys, go around the world.

Twins Mateo and Valentino

Twelve years later, Martin, now a father to twins Matteo and Valentino, born from a surrogate mother, is now at peace with himself. "I'm very lucky today to say that I'm gay and I love it and I'm so happy." 

It took him a while to sort out his life but, Ricky Martin is now an inspiration to gay people and to the world. He said in his acceptance speech that he just wanted to be free. His body language, his smile, every thing about his presentation screamed to the world, “I am free at last.”



Now that Ricky Martin is out, he publicly acknowledged his relationship with longtime boyfriend Carlos Gonzalez, a financial planner.  A new report claims that Ricky and Carlos are planning to get married. Because they can’t get married legally in Puerto Rico, the couple is considering marrying in Spain.

Spain legalized gay marriage in 2005. While five states and the District of Columbia in the USA have legalized gay marriage, federal law does not recognize such unions.

In accepting an award from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), Martin thanked his family and Gonzalez, who was seated in the audience, for their support. Gonzalez also attended Martin’s inaugural concert in Puerto Rico for his Musica+Alma+Sexo world tour.

He also offered words of encouragement and sympathy for people grappling with their sexual identity. "It was about my own fears, and I know there's a lot of people out there, men and women, who are struggling with that," he said. "Everyone has to go through their own spiritual journey."